授賞式写真
Short history of the Japan Art Assosiation
1879   The Ryuchi-kai is established by the Japanese Imperial family to promote Japan's traditional arts.
1880   The Ryuchi-kai becomes responsible for the Exhibition for the Appreciation of Traditional Art held by the Ministry of Home Affairs in 1879, and the Ryuchi-kai holds it annually thereafter.
1887   The Ryuchi-kai is given a building belonging to the Imperial Household Agency and allowed to use without charge the land in Ueno Park on which the building stands; there, construction is begun of the exhibition hall. The Ryuchi-kai is reorganized and renamed the Japan Art Association. First patron is Prince Arisugawa Taruhito.
1888  

The exhibition hall is completed. The Exhibition for the Appreciation of Traditional Art is renamed the Art Exhibition.

1895   Prince Arisugawa Takehito is named honorary patron.
1897   The Japan Art Association  arranges exhibits of Japanese decorative arts for the Paris International Exposition of 1900.
1900   An annex to the exhibition hall is completed. The Japan Art Association establishes itself as the main organization for protecting and promoting the arts in Japan.The Paris International Exposition is held.
1913   Prince Kuni Kuniyoshi is named honorary patron of the Japan Art Association.
1921   The main museum building is completed with the support of Mitsui and Mitsubishi, though mainly with financial help from the Imperial family.
1923   Except for the exhibition hall, the buildings of the Japan Art Association are destroyed by the Great Kanto Earthquake. A temporary office and warehouses are built.
1929   Prince Takamatsu is named honorary patron.
1943   Due to war, the 123rd and subsequent art exhibitions are cancelled.
1947   Yoshimitsu Tokugawa is appointed chairman of the board. He is busily engaged in restarting the activity of the Japan Art Association and building the new exhibition hall.
1950   Ino Dan is appointed chairman of the board. An exhibition of three schools of Japanese painting is held from 1949 to the 1960s.
1966   Plans for the exhibition hall approved by the Tokyo government, and construction started.
1968   The exhibition hall of the museum is completed.
1971   Nobusuke Kishi is appointed chairman of the board. Nobutaka Shikanai as vice-chairman
1972   The museum is named the Ueno Royal Museum. Thereafter, Three Hundred Years―Momoyama-era, Edo-era, Meiji-era―Exhibition, Exhibition of Master Sculptors, Ceramic Works of Picasso and other art exhibitions are held.
1983   First annual Ueno Royal Museum Grand Prize Exhibition.
1987  

Prince Hitachi is named honorary patron.

Yasuhiro Nakasone is appointed chairman of the board.
1988  

The Praemium Imperiale is established.

International advisors are installed with their nomination committees.
1989  

Nobutaka Shikanai is appointed chairman of the board.

The awards ceremony for the first Praemium Imperiale is held.
1991   Ryuzo Sejima is appointed chairman of the board.
1993   The Museum of Modern Art, N. Y. exhibition is held.
1997   The Praemium Imperiale Grant for Young Artists is introduced.
2001   The Museum of Modern Art, N. Y. exhibition is held.
2002   The Picasso Museum, Barcelona exhibition is held.
2005   Alice in Wonderland , first solo exhibition in Japan of Sigmar Polke, is held.
2006   The Ueno Royal Museum Gallery is completed.
2008  

The commemorative events to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Praemium Imperiale are held.

Hisashi Hieda is appointed chairman of the board.